What is 12×18 Sheet Cake?
A 12×18 sheet cake is a rectangular cake that is baked in a sheet pan that is 12 inches by 18 inches. Some key things to know about 12×18 sheet cakes:
- Size – The 12×18 size refers to the dimensions of the baking pan, so the cake itself will be approximately 12 inches wide by 18 inches long once baked and trimmed.
- Number of servings – A cake this size will typically serve around 50-70 people depending on the portion size. It’s well suited for large gatherings and parties.
- Uses – Sheet cakes are popular for birthday parties, weddings, graduations, and other celebrations. Their simple rectangular shape makes them easy to customize with decorations and lettering.
- Baking process – Sheet cakes take less time to bake than round layered cakes since they are only 1-2 inches tall. They bake up with a flat, even surface that lends itself well to decorative icing.
- Decorations – Sheet cakes are usually simply frosted on top, but can be decorated with piped borders, flowers, fondant accents, etc. Their large flat surface provides a good canvas for creative decorating.
So in summary, a 12×18 sheet cake provides a large, rectangular surface for feeding big crowds and decorating for special events. Its simple shape and large size make it useful for all kinds of gatherings.
Is a 12×18 a full sheet cake?
No, a 12×18 cake is not considered a full sheet cake. Here are the standard cake pan sizes:
- Full Sheet Cake Pan: 18×26 inches
- Half Sheet Cake Pan: 18×13 inches
- Quarter Sheet Cake Pan: 13×9 inches
A 12×18 cake pan is larger than a quarter sheet but smaller than a half sheet. It’s sometimes called a “third sheet” cake pan. The full sheet cake pan at 18×26 inches is the largest standard rectangular cake pan size. Anything smaller than a full sheet is considered a “sheet cake” but not a full sheet.
How To Prepare 12×18 Sheet Cake?
How Long To Bake 12×18 Sheet Cake?
How do I know when a 12×18 Sheet Cake is done baking?
What temperature should I bake an 12×18 Sheet Cake at?
What to Serve and store 12×18 Sheet Cake?
A 12×18 sheet cake is a large cake that can serve a big group of people. When serving the cake, it’s best to cut it into rectangular slices so you get nice even pieces. Use a sharp knife to cut all the way through the cake and wipe the knife clean between cuts for neat slices. Plan for each person to get one modestly sized piece of cake – a cake this size when cut into 48 pieces will serve about 50 people.
For storing leftover sheet cake, cover it tightly in plastic wrap or foil and keep refrigerated. Make sure the cake is completely cooled before refrigerating. Leftover sheet cake will last 3-4 days refrigerated. You can also freeze the cake for longer term storage. Wrap it well in a few layers of plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 2-3 months. When ready to serve, thaw the frozen cake overnight in the refrigerator before unwrapping and cutting into slices. With proper storage, you can enjoy sheet cake for several days after the initial serving.
Tips to Decorating Ideas 12×18 Sheet Cake
- Use a crumb coat. Apply a thin layer of frosting first to seal in crumbs. Chill in the fridge, then frost the cake completely. This gives you a smooth surface to decorate.
- Stack cake tiers for more visual interest. Bake sheet cakes in different shapes and sizes, then stack them on top of each other with frosting or columns between layers.
- Cover the cake in fondant for a smooth decorating surface. Roll out fondant and carefully lay it over the frosted cake. Smooth and trim excess. Fondant can be painted or airbrushed easily.
- Add patterns with piping. Use piping tips to create swirls, dots, flowers, etc. Practice piping designs on parchment first. Use piping gel for sticky surfaces.
- Arrange fresh fruit or berries on top into shapes or wreaths. Slice fruit thinly and fan out apples or pears.
- Press edible sequins or confetti into the frosting. Purchase edible cake décor or make your own by printing out designs on edible paper.
- Create an ombre effect. Tint frosting different colors and blend together with a spatula on the surface.
- Use chocolate molds. Press chocolate shapes or letters into the sides of the cake for extra detail.
- Add floral cake topper. Real or gumpaste flowers make an elegant topper. Arrange flowers crawling down the side for a cascading effect.
- Incorporate a theme. Pick a motif like sports, nautical, seasonal, etc. and use themed decorations, colors, and designs.
What temperature should I bake a 12×18 sheet cake at?
You’ll want to bake a sheet cake at around 350°F. This allows the inside to cook through while the outside bakes to a light golden brown. Baking at a higher temp risks over-browning the outside before the inside is done.
How can I tell when my 12×18 sheet cake is done baking?
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean with no batter stuck to it, the cake is finished baking. The edges should pull away slightly from the pan sides and the top should spring back when gently pressed.
How long does it take to bake a 12×18 sheet cake?
Baking times vary, but plan for around 30-40 minutes. Check at 30 minutes, then continue baking and checking every 5 minutes until a toothpick tests clean. The thickness and pan material impacts time as well.
Why You Trust Us
Amparo Zapata is the chef and blogger at Layla’s Authentic Spanish Restaurant. With over 8 years experience as a Spanish chef, Amparo is renowned for his authentic recipes that transport diners to Spain. In addition to cooking, he shares his expertise on the restaurant blog, aiming to educate people about traditional Spanish ingredients and methods through his recipes. Amparo strives to spread the joy of home cooking through his blogging.